Wow I’m posting about something that isn’t book related for once. I saw a few posts floating around on tumblr about college. What tips and tricks people recommended for freshmen students. Well I decided to make a post about what I learned during my first year of college. I’m not necessarily a freshmen yet because due to signing up late I was only able to get a few classes in Fall so I haven’t reached the amount of credit hours needed. I’m off by like a one class, but I’ll save the saltiness for another post.
- It’s okay to cry – You probably read that like wtf are you talking about which is fine because I’m about to tell you. I started college in May 2016 and my last semester for the year ended in May 2017. I took summer classes to get adjusted to college life. Well I was fine through summer and fall because the work load wasn’t as much. Cue spring semester when I get stuck with professors that are major jerks, papers that I should have passed, and etc. I felt so down that I just cried. It’s okay to cry. It doesn’t make you weak. Crying helped me calm down, and I was able to tackle what I needed to do.
- Freshmen 15 is real – Boy was I wrong to not believe this. I was going super strong with working out until I had a knee injury in February. I wasn’t able to work out, I felt so sluggish, and I gained weight. I’m not going to beat around the bush with this one. You need to watch what you are eating. You can’t let little things get you down either. Binge eating is awful, but we all do it especially when we are sad. Start working out even if it’s a quick 5 minute at home.
- Summer Classes – Some people tell you to avoid those classes like the plague. I actually encourage summer classes especially if you are new to college. It helps you get used to the classes without having to deal with a ton of students. You also get more time with the professor in the summer classes.
- Drink Water – We all know coffee is life, but it’s not that good for you. Water has a lot of health benefits. It helps get all the toxins out of our body, and I know you are stressing too. My biggest tip is add a slice or two of lemon to your water so you can sip on it throughout the day. This has helped my energy levels so much. I also recommend getting a reusable water bottle. It helps reduce plastic waste, and allows you to refill it whenever you want.
- Clubs – Join clubs! This will help you figure out what you like and don’t like. Most colleges have clubs for just about everything so don’t be afraid to try one out. I run a Literature Club at my college, and it has been one of the most amazing experiences. I get to talk to people about books. I have made some life long friends along the way as well.
Those are the five things I have learned during my first year of college. I have had a lot of ups and downs. It’s going to be hard. College is such an amazing experience. I wouldn’t trade it in for anything in the world.